This was another commissioned outfit for one of my day care children. It’s a size 2 toddler made from vintage Simplicity 5935 dated 1973. When the mother chose this pattern, she was aiming for summer dresses. The pattern illustration was a little misleading and she thought the contrast sleeves on view 1 (bottom right) were actually another blouse underneath so I modified the view 1 top to be sleeveless with just the little ruffles at the top.
I had these fabrics as scraps in my stash from a Sewaholic Alma blouse that I made for myself. I ended up having exactly enough for this pattern.
The bloomers are the red and white polka dot fabric with the main dress color as a elastic casing hidden on the inside.
I added contrast red/white polka dot piping along the yoke and collar as well as a contrast flower shaped pocket with Velcro closure to keep the petals on top from curling down with repeated use and laundering.
That stinkin’ pocket took me over an hour to make because there was a flaw on the fabric I used for the facing but I accidentally embroidered the piece I had intended for the facing. I had to start over and embroider all of the correct pocket piece as well before stitching the two sides together and hand stitching it down to the dress. I also hand stitched all of that Velcro in place so that it wouldn’t be visible from the outside. All that work was worth it when I saw the little girl giggle about her flower pocket! She still points out the flower pocket every time she wears the dress. 🙂