Completed: Bow T-shirt

DSC_0894
I am the self-proclaimed queen of creative cutting layouts to conserve fabric. If it looks like there will be any scrap of fabric left over I manipulate those pattern pieces all over the place to make them fit so as to maximize my fabric – even if I have no idea what I’ll do with the remnants. I actually bought less fabric than the Tiramisu calls for and still managed to squeeze out enough leftover fabric to make this 3/4 sleeve T-shirt.

I used my TNT long sleeve T-shirt, Burda 7742, of which I made at least a half dozen last winter. I also adjusted the sleeve so I’ve made a couple short sleeves, too. My previous ones were just boring plain jerseys in various colors.

IMG_0006

I’ve manipulated this pattern so much that its designer probably wouldn’t recognize it. I’ve taken in the side seams to a more hour glass figure, eliminated most of the ease in the sleeve head which is supposed to be gathered, and I’ve cut the neckline down to scoop a few inches lower. The original neckline is impossible to see because the model on the envelope is wearing a scarf but it sits at the base of the throat as you can imagine it should be for that turtleneck version to attach properly.

I was all amped up from the Devine Details class I took with the lovely Sarah Veblen at the sewing expo over the weekend. She had a great long sleeve black t-shirt that she finished with fold over elastic and made a long, drapey self fabric bow at the shoulder. I grabbed some of that black fold over elastic at the Vogue Fabrics booth but didn’t have any specific plans for it until I realized I was going to have some of this purple knit left.

Immediately I knew I was going to finish it all off with the black fold over elastic and add a little bow at the neckline.

DSC_0899

I stitched up one shoulder and one side seam so that the joint of the elastic could be hidden in the seams on the neckline, sleeves, and hem. I simply folded the elastic over the raw edges and zig-zagged it in place. Then I closed the other shoulder, sleeves, and other side seam.

For the bow I folded and zig-zagged the elastic, then tied it into a tiny bow. I planned to put it up on the shoulder – I’m such a copy cat, I know – but it didn’t look right up there after I held it in place. I decided on scooting it lower down the neckline but still off-center.

I really wanted this to be a long sleeve T but I couldn’t eek it out of the fabric I had. I settled for the longest 3/4 sleeve I could humanly manage – we’re talking about a millimeter of space left between the pattern pieces. I think I may have even notched into the seam allowance on one of them in attempts to squish the pieces together. In the end, I prefer the 3/4 sleeve, as I think it showcases the trim better.

I love this top and know I’m going to wear it to death. The trimming elevates this basic T into something a bit more refined. I’m so glad I took that class. Thanks for inspiring me, Sarah!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s