What do you call this?

I’ve been busy working in my pattern shop again and have stumbled upon a language conundrum.

I have a lot of international customers to include those in Australia, Great Britain, Canada, Germany, France, Spain, and even Latvia. I make every effort to appropriately tag my items so that my international customers can find what they’re looking for. For example, I tag an American “pants” pattern as “trousers” and “slacks,” as I’m aware that “pants” in Britain are undergarments, not the things you wear on your legs as an outer garment.
I also try to use alternate spellings of things like “pajamas” and “pyjamas” to draw the international crowd.

When it comes to a “jumper” pattern like this one:
I don’t know how to cross tag it. To Americans and American pattern makers, a “jumper” is a sleeveless dress intended to be worn over the top of a blouse.

I know that to the British and Australian folks  a “jumper” means a garment worn on the upper body, often warm and wooly, as in a sweater or pullover. What I don’t know is what would you call the above pattern in Australia or Britain? I can’t seem to find my answer via Google so I’m hoping my dear readers abroad can help me out.

Where are you and what do you call that garment in the picture?


3 thoughts on “What do you call this?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s