Completed: Something in Silk Advance 3929

DSC_0670

I have joined a group of lovely ladies from around the globe (I think many are from Australia and New Zealand) in a new sewing collective known as The Monthly Stitch. Each month we are given a challenge theme to sew and share. I missed out on the very first one – August’s cape challenge but hopped right on board with September’s vintage challenge! This is the first of what I hope to be many contributions to the collective.

So here it is at long last –  my Something in Silk Dress, also known as Advance 3929 from the 1940’s.

I made view 3, the little one on the left. As you can see, I shortened the hem significantly, but I did so proportionally, so as to retain the flare of the skirt. To do so, I folded up 5 sections evenly distributed through the length of each skirt piece and traced the result. I also made my own version of a self-covered belt, as I felt that the belt piece was just too wide for me. For everything else, I followed the pattern instructions.

Advance 3929

I’m really pleased with how this dress turned out. I didn’t take any shortcuts on this piece (except for the belt). I used French seams throughout and everything was ripped out and redone if it wasn’t perfect. The only tweak I’m going to make is to go back and tack the facings at the shoulder seams. I had originally done this but then cut the tacks off thinking it was pulling too much. If you look closely at the photos though, you can spy an armhole facing trying to sneak out to play in the sunshine. I’ll make it behave, though. Don’t you worry.

I feel like I’ve talked about this dress enough as I worked on it. If you’ve missed it, catch up here:

WIP: Something in Silk

WIP: Something in Silk Test Garment

WIP: Something in Silk facings & French Seams

WIP: Something in Silk Lapped Zipper Placket

Tutorial: Self-Covered Belt Hack

In case you were wondering , clipping the French seams where the armhole facing joins and at the top & bottom of the zipper worked out just fine. I Hong Kong finished the raw edges of the zipper placket. It all seams to lay nicely but it took some mighty careful stitching at the transition points.

I’ll leave you with a few more shots of the dress and my fabulous, but way-too-short-for-me haircut.

DSC_0669

DSC_0668

Whoops! A stiff breeze kickin’ up here!

DSC_0667

DSC_0664

Now if you haven’t already, pop on over and visit the other lovely ladies of The Monthly Stitch Collective and their awesome vintage makes for the September challenge.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Completed: Something in Silk Advance 3929

  1. Pingback: I’m off to the Expo! | Vint Hill Vintage

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s