I’ve been busy making babies! No, get your mind out of the gutter! I’ve been stitching up baby dolls.
I’m still hard at work on my something in silk dress but I had several short sewing sessions in which I couldn’t lay out and cut the silk because it would have taken more time than I had so I whipped up this little darlings (and did eventually get a long enough session to cut the silk).
I picked up this pattern, Simplicity 2809 at Hancock Fabrics a few weeks ago because I fell in love with these babes.
I made the little girl for my 13 month old niece for Christmas. I know, I know. Christmas already? But when you give handmade gifts you HAVE to start in September. Once I decided it was quick enough I made the boy for my 3-year-old son. He loves his baby dolls and its so hard to find boy babies in stores. Apparently toy manufacturers choose to ignore half of the world’s population when it comes to babies. But I’ll save that rant for a different time.
I made them according to the instructions. The only change I made was to make the girl’s bib reversible with a contrast heart applique on each side. I also made sure to match their eyes and hair to that of the children for whom they were made. I wish I could have found a body fabric that was closer to the proper skin tone. Sadly this was all I could come up with. The girl’s clothes are scraps from a quilt I made for my Grandmama about 10 years ago that featured blocks of little boys and girls representing each of her grandchildren. I was saving them for something special and since this niece is the great-granddaughter of my Grandmama I thought it would be fitting.
I was going to save the boy for my boy for Christmas, too, but I feel that something special and handmade often gets lost in the shuffle of Christmas chaos, so I gave it to him as soon as I finished on Friday. He has slept with it every nap and night since “because he’s so soft.” He just says he doesn’t like the baby’s ears. He wants me to “fix them.” Not sure how to do that but I agree they look a little elfish. I’m also not thrilled with the little boy’s diaper. The directions didn’t have any way to finish the raw edges. You just sew the darts on the seat and add Velcro. I serged the edges but I don’t like it at all. I think I may get some felt and remake the diaper so there is no need to finish the edges.
Look forward to seeing more of these little ones because I’ve decided to make them for each of my day care children’s birthdays. I would do it for Christmas, but I want to have time to sew something besides 10 babies between now and then!